Statues & Busts

Henry Shaw believed that sculpture had an important place in public parks and brought a number of examples to Tower Grove Park for the citizens of St. Louis to enjoy.


 
von+Steuben-2.jpg

Baron Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben

Originally commissioned for the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition, this statue was moved to Tower Grove Park in 1968.

Statue-von+Humboldt+1.jpg

Alexander von Humboldt

Ferdinand von Miller, dedicated November 24, 1878

Shakespeare-2.jpg

William Shakespeare

Ferdinand von Miller, dedicated 23 April 1878

Statue-Columbus+1.jpg

Christopher Columbus

Ferdinand von Miller, dedicated 12 October 1886

 

Busts of famous musical composers can be found on the lawn surrounding the music pavilion. While the busts on display are replacement busts, the original marble busts can be found in the Piper Palm House.

 
 
Bust+2.jpg

Wagner

Ferdinand von Miller (1884)

Bust+3.jpg

Beethoven

Ferdinand von Miller (1884)

Bust-Gounod-3.jpg

Gounod

Carlo Nicole (1886)

Bust-Mozartr-4.jpg

Mozart

Howard Kretschmar (1882)

Bust-Verdi-1.jpg

Verdi

Carlo Nicole (1886)

photo-1417055345585-91d746e2d67a.jpg

Rossini

Howard Kretschmar (1882)