Henry Shaw believed that sculpture had a place in public parks and brought a number of examples to Tower Grove Park for the citizens of St. Louis to enjoy. The four full-length sculptures are:
Ferdinand von Miller, dedicated 23 April 1878
Ferdinand von Miller, dedicated 24 November 1878
Ferdinand von Miller, dedicated 12 October 1886
Originally commissioned for the 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition; moved to Tower Grove Park, 1968
On the lawn surrounding the music pavilion, which is situated a little north of the statues of Shakespeare and Humboldt, and about midway between them, are the white marble replacement busts of the famous musical composers:
The original marble busts can be found in the Piper Palm House.
The metallic figures adorning the Grand Avenue entrance of lions and griffins, and the recumbent stags near the north gate, are also works of art of decided merit. They were designed and executed in Berlin, and were imported for the ornamentation of the gateways by the Board of Commissioners, and are made of zinc, which is, when kept carefully painted, almost as indestructible as bronze.