The East Gate Entrance – Grand Boulevard
The East Gate on Grand Boulevard was designed as the main entrance for vehicular traffic into Tower Grove Park. It is the most ornate of the entrances and remains and excellent example of the more formal type of landscape architecture popular in the late nineteenth century. Built between 1870 and 1872, the gate is made from granite, cut limestone, and rubble stone.
The gate is adorned with 4 zinc statues, two lions and two griffins, which were acquired by Henry Shaw from Berlin, Germany. The custom railings and gates are made of cast iron and filled with details.
The North Gate Entrance - Magnolia Avenue
The North Gate serves as the vehicle entrance into Tower Grove Park from Tower Grove and Magnolia Avenues. Erected between 1870 and 1892, the expanse of the gate complex and its towering ornamental columns creates the impression of grandeur intended by its designer Henry Shaw and favored by landscape architects of the nineteenth century.
The stone piers, coping, and columns were acquired from the lower floor of the St. Louis Courthouse during renovations of that building in 1870. In 1871 iron gates and railings were added to the pedestrian and carriage gates and the premises were graded, paved, and planted.
The South Gate Entrance - Arsenal Street
The South Gate originally served as a pedestrian entrance into the park and then later, an exit from Center Cross Drive for carriages and vehicles. The gate as we see it today was built in 1888 and is representative of the more monumental style of landscape design popular in the late nineteenth century.
This gate compliments the North Gate being of the same limestone pier and ornamental wrought iron railing composition and scalloped shape.
The West Gate Entrance - Kingshighway
The West Gate and accompanying gatehouse is the only example of Gothic Revival Style in the Park. The Gate was built in 1870-1872 and enlarged to its present state in 1879-1880. These two structures are well-preserved examples of the picturesque design favored by British and American landscape architects in the nineteenth century.
The towers flanking the vehicle entrance are about 38 feet tall and are the only remaining structures in the park with a castellated appearance. The smaller towers flanking the pedestrian entrances are 15’ high and limestone is the predominate building material.
(Source: Historic American Buildings Survey, Tower Grove Park. HABS No. MO-1137, 1974-75 & 1983)