The Park has several decorative bridges that carry both pedestrian and vehicular traffic over the two creeks that traverse the park from south to north. All of the bridges were erected between 1868 and 1872.
Old Comfort Station
The Park has three comfort stations that are all being renovated and updated during the 2016/2017 winter season. The most historically significant of the three structures is the Old Comfort Station located near the intersection of Grand and Magnolia.
This building was erected in 1913 using materials from the demolished East Gate Lodge and has a stone foundation, stucco walls, exposed rafters, and a green-glazed tile roof.
Piper Palm House
The Piper Palm House was built in 1878 and is the oldest greenhouse west of the Mississippi River. It was originally built to overwinter the palms used in the Park’s floral displays during the winter months. The Piper Palm House is currently an event venue that can host weddings, receptions, and many other events.
Stupp Center and Memorial Garden
The Stupp Center and Memorial Garden, built in 1982, is the newest building addition to Tower Grove Park. It is home to a series of planned activities for our community's seniors, as well as a popular site for weddings, rehearsal dinners, club and corporate meetings. For more information on rental please click here. The building was designed with elements mimicking the famous pavilions of Tower Grove Park while also appearing to be nestled into its wooded landscape. The Memorial Garden is home to sculpture Walter Hauk’s bronze eagle which takes flight from the red granite pillar in the fountain to the rear of the building.
The Tennis Center building dates to 1931 and was built in honor of the Park’s Founder Henry Shaw. In 1966 an addition to the east side of the building included space for a pro shop and locker room facilities.
Flagpole and Flag Circle
At the central axis of the Park is a 65’ Flagpole and the Flag Circle landscape. The landscape was renovated in 2007 with generous support from the Orthwein Family Foundation. The gardenesque style of the Park is evident in this simplistic planting that is seen by anyone traversing the park in a vehicle.
The Stables and Park Foreman’s Residence
The Park Foreman’s Residence on the North side of the park is a stone house that was likely designed by Francis Tunica. Like many of the stone features in this Park it was built using rough coursed limestone rubble in 1870. Adjacent to the residence is a 10 stall stable, also constructed out of stone. This is where the Park’s Clydesdale and pony reside.
Piper Plant House
To the north of the Piper Palm House stands a second and virtually identical Plant House built in 1885. Over the park’s history this building has been used as a greenhouse, maintenance building and is currently the home to our park office.